by Fr. Thomas J. Euteneuer, President, Human Life International
It’s time to kiss grandma goodbye. Do it while you can, especially if she is sick. I am not being facetious here. The healthcare debate is deadly serious for seniors and those who will need a greater amount of healthcare in the coming years. People approaching retirement age will be obliged to start planning for death soon, and the government is more than ready to help them. According to this wicked bill, HR 3200, there are generous provisions setting the stage to weed out the weak, infirm and unfit and make room for the fit, all at the government’s discretion. The list of chilling dictates that will affect all seniors and ill persons is just frightening [see sidebar for references]. I note just a few relevant provisions from the 1018-page document:
- Page 29: healthcare will be rationed by government regulators;
- Pages 30 and 42: government committees will be set up to decide what healthcare we can and can’t have – a “Health Choices Commissioner” (Commissar?) will be in charge of these decisions;
- Page 239: the government will limit and reduce physician services for Medicaid which means that the dependent elderly and those most unable to access other services will suffer;
- Page 341: the government will be able to disqualify Medicare Part B and HMOs if they don’t get with the program, which means that they can effectively put them out of business as competition; and no one will be able to sue the government for a de facto monopoly on healthcare or for price-fixing (p. 124);
- Pages 425-430: “end-of-life” counseling and courses will be obligatory in this heinous bill-by the way, the Hemlock Society (now euphemistically called Compassion and Choices) has admitted to working with members of congress on this section of the bill;
- Page 429: nurse practitioners and physicians’ assistants can have authority to write end-of-life orders.
Another curious fact: of the 31 occurrences of the word “planning” in the text of this massive bill, fifteen of them are in the sections dealing with death planning (always called “advanced care planning”), nine are in the sections on “family planning” (code words for abortion, sex education and contraception) and the other seven are about government bureaucratic functioning. Isn’t it strange that a society which has worshipped “freedom of choice” for so long is now on the verge of surrendering its freedom and choices to government planners?
The only reason we have our elderly being set up for systematic extermination now is because our culture has been so deeply brainwashed by the contraceptive and abortive mentalities that come from decades of “family planning” propaganda. The devaluation of human life at one end of the spectrum leaves the other end of the life spectrum completely vulnerable to the depredations of the power-mongers in Washington. Albert Schweitzer said that “if a man loses his reverence for any part of life, he will lose his reverence for all of life.” In terms of the current healthcare debate that would mean: when you sow family planning, you reap death planning. It’s that simple.
How ironic that President Obama’s so-called overhaul of the healthcare system in this country comes just at the time when the number of senior citizens is set to double. If the “Greatest Generation” gave our nation the technology and the prosperity to have the highest standard of living and best healthcare system in the world – bar none – then that generation will be the first to be killed off by the same technology – and all for altruistic reasons based on lifestyle and efficiency. Needless to say, the baby-boomers are next in line for euthanasia.
Those who still value life and are now being called into a very personal pro-life battle, one that threatens to strike at the very center of our families: our parents and grandparents. Just as we have always stood united in our defense of the rights of the unborn, we must adamantly resist this heinous program to hand over life and death planning to the government. Those decisions must stay in the hands of God. We must resist this wickedness now, while we still have breath.